Thursday, April 27, 2006

Alone in the Meadow




I never did post completed pics of some of my paintings I finished recently. This one is called "Alone in the Meadow." I put quite a bit of time into this one. I especially enjoyed doing the sky. I have always loved clouds and still find myself looking up every time I step outside to see what new forms are there that day. In many of my pieces you may notice that the central clouds are light, celebrative and peaceful or joyful. Off to the edges there are usually dark grey clouds. To me this is symbolic of the transition from dark to light that we experience on our spiritual journeys in life. With each new understanding, we have new light to illuminate our lives.

The tree in this painting reflects how I feel at times. I am perfectly comfortable with aloneness and often enjoy it. I love my friends and family and need them. I also need my alone time and this painting expresses that way I feel when I have a little time to just enjoy life for a few hours by myself doing whatever I really want to do. The tree is basking in the sunlight that is pouring over it and it reflects the way I often feel that life is pouring over me and wrapping around me with goodness, be it in my child's hug or in the way I feel when I paint.

Most of my paintings are filled with meaning and emotion to me. I don't often share them because I have never really known if I had an audience who cared. A recent conversation with a patron of mine changed my mind that some people actually might be interested in knowing some of the long details about the thought process and meaning behind my works. So I will start putting some of the explanations behind my works on my blog. Others I'll write out and file away if they're too personal to share right now.

I always have atleast a dozen paintings in my head. Right now I have 26. We'll see if I can get to them sometime here. I have another large painting project this weekend and then after that I may be able to start on the main series I'm feverish to do. A wonderful artist and very interesting man I met on my trip to Ohio 2 weeks ago, observed as I was browsing his works in his studio/gallery, I have a busy mind.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

It's beautiful, and I love hearing about the inspiration and meaning behind it.

kate said...

Becky, count me among those who love to hear artists share what their inspiration was. And what they like best about the piece. It's nice to interpret it for myself, but then I want to know the story behind the story, or painting. Thanks!